Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer halfway over?!

As I finish my 3rd week of work, it really is hard to believe that my trip to London is halfway over! My roommates and I realized how short the summer really is last week when we took a look at a calendar and compared it with everything we want to do. I feel like so far we have been making the most of our trip, and I hope we continue to do so!

This week at work I did a variety of things. One of my favorites was attending a Marketing Induction meeting for new employees. We learned that although we spend the majority of time at MEC focusing on our clients' brands, MEC has its own brand that we need to recognise (UK spelling) and have a true knowledge of. We also watched several case study videos that you can see on MEC's website here.

I continued working on a presentation for Sony Ericsson, but have moved on to a newer product, the Experia 10 Mini, targeted mostly towards girls. I also worked on checking Chanel bookings and a new pitch for Danone (Activia). This week we got a new intern and I was actually able to give her some advice which was a strange feeling for me as I have been here only 3 weeks. I'm really enjoying my time here and learning so much about Media Buying and everything that comes with it.

On Tuesday, Molly, Kelsie, and I ventured to Wimbledon after work! It was suprisingly far away from where we live, so it was a little bit of trek on the tube, but we made it ok. After 5pm the tickets to the grounds go down in price, and the tickets for matches that were previously sold go up for resale for only £5! We bought tickets for a match in court one, a men's doubles game but due to the strict tennis restrictions (no hot or smelly food, lids required on drinks including beer, and no entering during a set) we couldn't go into the game right away. We decided to wander around and get the famous strawberries and cream and check out the shop. By the time we got back to the match, it was over. A bit frustrating, but we saw about 2 minutes of tennis! I was just happy to be there. The grounds are so beautiful and I'd love to go again some other time and see a full match! Afterwards we grabbed some beers at our local pub and headed home after a very long day.

Yesterday I finally managed to get comfortable shoes, because somehow every pair of shoes I brought hurts my feet. I figured since we will be walking nonstop in Paris, it would be worth it. I also finally got my International Student card which helps out when stores/museums have student discounts, and employees have no idea what Kansas is.

Tonight is the Eclipse premiere here in London and I'm still unsure if I want to have a go at it. The red carpet walk begins at 6pm so I would make it, but I've read that people were lined up since last night for a spot to see the stars! Either way, I hope to see the movie soon, as it comes out July 9th here.

This weekend we are taking our first big trip to Paris! I'm so excited and am sure I'll have so much to blog about afterwards. We are taking the Eurostar which goes through the chunnel. We have our whole weekend mapped out so hopefully we can avoid the rainy weather and enjoy the weekend!

Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment