Wednesday, June 30, 2010

English vs. British English

In the three weeks I've been in London, I have caught on to much of the language so far from English known as British English.

Spelling differences:
Rumour, Labour, Colour...etc.
Organise, Organisation etc...
Jewellery
Ageing

**Update: Paedophile. Makes the word even more gross

Dates:
5/6/2010 is June 5th 2010, not May 6th. Confusing when typing dates into Excel or other programs.

British Terminology I've Learned:
Dodgy = sketchy, bad
WAGs = Wives and Girlfriends...Victoria Beckham is the 'Queen of the WAGs.'
Rubbish or Litter = trash
Top Up = Reload, or refill, or just simply get more. Best used for referring to phones or your pass for the tube.
Uni = University/College
Fit = Good looking, hot
Give Way = Yield. Commonly seen on street signs
Hayfever = Allergies. Apparently also used in America but I was unaware of that.


Phone Calls:
Instead of How are you? as a common greeting, you usually hear 'Are you Alright?' This is a little weird because at first it makes you feel like you look sick or bad.

To end a phone call, everyone raises the pitch of their voice and says Cheers, Bye! Very excitedly.


The company I work for, Media Edge, is usually pronounced 'Medieredge' which always sounds a bit like Meteor to me.


Need to go the bathroom? It is quite difficult to ask. Not very many people actually say Loo, so the easiest thing to say is Toilet, however crude that may be.

That's all for now, I'll probably add more when I remember them.

1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite kind of posts! :) Sounds like you're having a great time!! -Liz

    ReplyDelete