Monday, June 14, 2010

Workin 9 to 5

Today was the first day of my internship with MediaEdge:CIA, or as they call it, MEC. Luckily, another girl from KU, Courtney, is interning there with me but in a different department! After my interview last week, I felt like I had a good understanding of what I would be doing but it was nice to start.

I set up my email, computer, and security pass then started on my first little project. On the press team, the main two clients are Chanel and Sony Ericsson. Today I worked on the Chanel account planning for a proposal that is due this Friday. I used a huge database of advertisement information using Nielsen research to check out Chanel's competition. I looked at different cologne advertisements and where they place ads. I spent most of the morning looking at Dior, which wasn't too bad considering all of their ads have a huge picture of Jude Law. I compiled excel sheets and powerpoints to be shown to the client later this week. I continued this for other colognes from Lacoste, Hugo Boss, and Armani. Overall it was really great and I like feeling that I am playing in a part in such a big scheme.

Some things I learned on my first day:

1) Advertising terms are NOT universal. Strapline=tagline or slogan, Creative=artwork...and many more.
2) Even though the British speak English, the keyboard is not the same! The worst was the @ symbol being in a different place!
3) Almost of the women on the tube in the morning wear tennis shoes with their suits and then change!
4) No need to eat breakfast at home, just eat at your desk first thing!
5) Office etiquette is very different. Starting at 9:30am I heard the radio all day. I heard Justin Bieber probably 20 times
6) Lunch is from 1-2, so bring a snack.

Great day and I am looking forward to an amazing summer!

My office!

2 comments: